Do Not Pay Registration Fees for a Student, Tutor Him Instead


By Salim Yakubu Akko 

There are so many lessons to learn from the recent JAMB saga for recording a set of another massive poor result, just as happened in 2021. What troubles me is that, instead of the society to learn from the past scenarios as antidote to the future happenings, but we keep repeating the same mistake, diminishing our inate capability to adjust our state of being as humans. 

Let me narrate a quick, personal story. I graduated from high-school in the year 2020, wrote my first UTME and scored lower than what I wanted. I wanted 200 and above, but I was 12 marks below. Many of my classmates had the same issue, poor scores. I didn't know it was because of my poor reading habit and lack of orientation that made me score that. Sat for it again the following year, and my performance became poorer. Fortunately, I later got where my mistake was, and in the long run, having read at least 70% of what was required of me to reach the bench mark and attended free UTME tutorials, I not only pass the 200 I wanted, but added considerable marks, and that later gave me a place in the medical school. 

I attended a free UTME tutorials called Bill Ward UTME Tutorials. There's this philosophy behind it which I deeply like and forever grateful for, Tutor a Student and Support Him, or just simply Tutor Him if you cannot do both, but never pay for his UTME fees. This is not discouraging that students should be financially supported, but the emphasis should be focused more on TEACHING the students. By teaching them, you not only change their life forever, but you take the world to the level higher. 

Over the years, politicians, stakeholders, and elite of the society spend millions, paying UTME registration fees for thousand of students that will later inevitably fail. Something that has been reoccurring. Instead of paying millions to cover their registration fees that will later yield nothing to write home about, why not use that same amount to hire a good tutor for these students? Why not use 70% of this amount and prepare 30% of the students?

If we really are ready for a radical change in the students performance, there's an urgent need for us to invest more in tutoring these students rigorously, introducing competition among them with moderate prizes as tool for encouragement, letting them understand that it is the only way to steer them forward by having experts orient them. Until then, a glimmering society whose tendency of succeeding is a stone's throw from reality will never be produced. 

Salim Yakubu Akko is a student of 
College of Medical Sciences, Gombe State University and a Tutor @Bill Ward UTME Tutorials. Wrote from Gombe. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post